Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hymn Snob

Over the past four years of being involved with RUF, I have become a hymn snob. I admit it and am unashamed. I know that hymns were sung early in my life, but during the 7 years of middle school and high school, I feel like we sang songs that only had one line and was repeated 30 or 40 times throughout the song. To me, these songs do God an injustice. There is so much more to be said than to "sing of His love forever." I remember being introduced to RUF hymns and other types of music when I first came to college and thinking, "Whoa, these songs have a LOT of words." But after I learned them, the words began to mean something and they are beautiful. I love hymns. Today in church, I think I added a new favorite to my list. "Be Still, My Soul" It's been a while since I had heard it sung and I could argue that I had never actually thought about the lyrics and the poetry of what was being said about Christ and the grace that we are shown and the glory of God. It was exciting. Here are the lyrics, read them, sing them, listen to them.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe they sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: they Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He take away

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy works and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I thought the title said "Hymn Sob" at first... which is funny, because I got a little teary-eyed singing this one today. Good pick.

MyHuckleberryFriend said...

I understand what you're saying...but I kind of think you're just a snob in general.

schupack said...

hey, i posted that very one on my blog just a couple months ago! it's one of my favorites. and i've definitely become a hymn snob since coming to college