Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fictional Couples.

Over the past month or so the topic of fidelity among "fictional couples" has been addressed briefly several times. I am amazed at how in television and books we often hope the heroic person cheats on their tyrant of a spouse because the "other" person is SO much more likable. I think this all the time. For instance, in the television series, Glee, Will Schuester the show choir director is married to a woman, Terri, who outwardly lies to him about being pregnant, demands a better house and nicer things that are way out of their means of living, and manipulates his every move. The show does a good job of portraying as a terrible person to be married to. Will does his best to provide for her, takes on a second job but still does not reach her expectations. So, we don't like Terri...she's terrible. But we do like the guidance counselor, Emma. She is sweet and caring and is totally in love with Will Schuester. They are friends and talk often. The entire time I am watching this show I find myself wanting them to end up together, completely forgetting that he is MARRIED and she is engaged to someone else. This is something I feel like no one would be pulling for in real life. But for some reason in television, movies, books, theater or other made up media and art forms I find myself wanting things to happen to people that in real life would be awful and forever damaging to people. We hope people have affairs. We want people to get killed. We want what seems like will make that person happy in that moment, but neglect the overall affects of their decisions and the last results that it would have on the people if they actually existed. I find this interesting. And all the more evidence to our total depravity. I am not saying that we should not necessarily be watching or reading things that contain these things, but that I have become aware of what I am apparently hoping for with these people it completely contradicts what I believe in actual life. I don't feel like there should be such a divide. I could be wrong. This entire blog could be completely incomprehensible. My bad. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I find myself with the exact same dilemma while watching the exact same television show. :-)

I think you hit on part of why we do that -- in real life there are long lasting consequences. In fictional media, not so much. Not that this is an excuse, but rather another reminder of our depravity. We think in terms of means and ends instead of the laws that God has set out.

On the other hand, these shows and movies, no matter how much they resemble real life, are really set in an alternate reality, so perhaps their morality is not our morality. I mean, have you ever thought about what happens to a fictional character when they die? Like, what happens to them in the context of the story? If the author of the story has written a universe that has no God, then, well, nothing happens. Right? Or does it?

I think way too much about things like this, mostly because I do love my media fiercely.

DrLeoMarvin said...

But Will is so great and Terri is a #*$%&/.

Also, it is a TV show and we are depraved.

Katie Tracy said...

I have been conflicted on this very same issue--!! And now I feel like no matter which way the writers go with it, I will be unhappy. 1) He could leave Terri and be with Emma (which is what I secretly want), but I will be outraged at the blatant disregard for the sanctity of marriage and will probably stop watching the show (not really). 2) He could stay with Terri and work through their issues and love her unconditionally, which is Biblically beautiful but culturally retarded and infuriating, so I will probably stop watching the show (not really). 3) Terri could continue to fool him, Emma could continue to love him unrequitedly, He could continue to be awesome, charming, and unreasonably perfect, and I will definitely keep watching the show.

But it is a TV show, and the world is depraved (and so are we).